Ctrl + P to print recipe
+ P to print recipe
Serve: 4 portions
750 g pomfret or any white fleshy fish
10 nos dry red chillies
1 ˝ nos fresh grated coconut (coconut milk powder - optional)
5 g cumin seeds
5 g black peppercorns
6 cloves garlic
1 pc green ginger - 1-inch
40 g coriander seeds
80 ml tamarind juice
5 nos kokum or dried lime
1 no onion - sliced
30 ml refined oil
5 nos fresh green chillies - slit
3 nos fresh red tomatoes - large
salt to taste
1. Grind the red chillies, coconut, cumin & coriander seeds, ginger,
garlic, turmeric powder and peppercorns to a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Fry the onions until light brown.
3. Add the ground paste to the fried onion and sauté for 10 minutes.
Add one litre of warm water and bring to boil.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add pieces of fish, tamarind extract and kokum. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Before removing from fire, add quarters of tomatoes and green chillies.
7. Serve with Appam.
MANGO (SHRIMPS EAST INDIAN STYLE)
800 g shrimps
200 g raw mangoes
200 g green chillies
250 g onions
5 cloves garlic
30 g East Indian bottle masala
60 ml refined oil
15 g mustard seeds
5 g turmeric salt to taste
1. Clean, de-shell and de-vein the shrimps. Wash in cold running
water, apply a little salt and turmeric. Keep aside.
2. Peel raw mangoes, slice them discarding the core. Likewise slit
the green chillies, slice the garlic cloves and the onions.
3. In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
Add in the sliced garlic and cook until it is golden, add in the slit
green chillies and the sliced onions. Cook until the onions are translucent
and add raw mangoes. Add little water to the cook the mangoes.
4. Add in the prawns and the bottle masala. Add some water to cook
the prawns. Add salt to taste and serve hot with Appams.
(SOUTH INDIAN SOFT CENTERED RICE BREAD)
1 kg rice (soaked overnight)
10 g salt
10 g sugar
10 g palm toddy / yeast
1. Stone grind the soaked rice to a fine paste.
2. Remove to a container and add in the remainder ingredients by hand
-mixing well and add yeast and dissolve in some water. Let it stand
for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
3. Heat up the specially crafted cast iron pan over low heat.
4. Ladle in the mixture in the center of the pan and swirl the pan
to spread the batter in a circular form.
5. Cover and cook for a few seconds, until the edges are crispy.
6. Serve hot immediately.